Sunday, April 1, 2012

The Big Event 2012

                         The Big Event: "One Big Day, One Big Thanks"
Giving Back. In a time like today it is something that can be forgotten and pushed aside. This Saturday May 31, I took part in the Big Event. Walking onto the Drillfield all you say were thousands of students in the Big Event shirts ready to start the event. Being a freshman it was the first time I have participated in the event and it was honestly a life-changing experience. I did it because I needed to for the riding team but as the day went on I appreciated being part of a day where the mission is just to help. The second I put on the shirt I felt like a part of something bigger because we all had them all 6,800 of us. I spent two hours painting primer onto an old man's porch as well as cleaning and organizing his stuff. He was so appreciative and just kept telling us, thank you over and over. Just seeing that how much he appreciated it made it all worth it because I knew that just by giving up a small portion of my time I was helping this one individual. Just one, but that's all it took since I was a part of completing those 990 projects by adding 1.



The Big Event, founded in 2002 is a student run community service effort that every spring goes and does hundreds of community service projects throughout Blacksburg, the New River Valley and Christiansburg. It has now become the second largest community service event of its kind in the country!! The goal is simple, to say thank you to the wonderful community that has supported and welcomed Virginia Tech. It celebrates the true meaning of Ut Prosim (That I may Serve), taking time to help someone else. It was a day I will never forget and plan to take part in for the next four years here at Virginia Tech.



sites:
The Big Event website,
http://www.vtbigevent.org/index.php/about-tbe/mission





No comments:

Post a Comment